Brain Farts

Friday, May 30, 2008

Quick Hits - 5/30

I really need to discuss the NBA Finals, but I can't. Don't want to jinx anything. Let's just say though after last night's win, I was like Hammy from Over the Hedge.

Time Warner is the worst. First, my HD DVR crapped out, and so I ended up losing something very special I had recorded. Kobe's 81 point game. That was bad enough, but now the box they've replaced it with sucks! The old box was a MOXI, this new one is some piece of crap with the worst user interface imaginable. Yes Melissa, I know... it's TiVo time.

It pains me to no end to say this, but that Digital Underground album that came out earlier this week? Eh.

Got the Wii Fit this week, and it's definitely a workout. One of the reasons is that your "trainer" goes so damn slow, you're forced to do every repetition with perfect technique, and you need to hold that position longer than you normally would. Also, this game has shown me that apparently I have no balance whatsoever.

The Lost season finale last night was awesome. Lots of revelations. But since we're talking about Lost, my head is spinning even more so than before the episode aired.

I'm re-reading Watchmen for about the fifth time. I know it's already in post-production so it's too late, but can we please put a stop to this Watchmen movie? I normally don't care about books (even comic books or graphic novels) being made into movies, because I think of them as two different mediums that each bring something to the table. In theory, comic books can work because you're not necessarily re-telling a story that has already been told. It's why comic movie sequels work so well. The first movie is normally a re-hashing of the hero's origin, which has already been defined. The sequels allow the movie writers more freedom to tell stories that have never been told, while getting to play in the sandbox the original comic authors have created. In the case of Watchmen, Alan Moore's brilliant piece of literature is a book with a definitive beginning, middle and end. Will moviegoers allow the screenwriters any freedom with this revered text? I know I won't. It's way too dense, complex and intelligent to possibly work in a single movie. What hopefully will end up happening is what happened with Sin City. Just shoot the movie(s) panel for panel, and hope that the acting and visual effects brings a new element to an already outstanding tale. My take.. Watchmen has been done, and it was done perfectly the first time around. Please, please, please, leave it alone. Oh, and you know I'll be one of the first in line to see it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home