Brain Farts

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Is it really that difficult...

... to find a decent barber? It's always a battle when I go get my haircut, especially lately since the shop I was going to closed up and moved to another mall. So unfortunately, I'm now in the process of finding a new barber. A process, as many of you know, can take quite a long time, and can be an unpleasant road to travel, making pit stops that can look like this along the way. no.. this is not really me
not me... but close So today, I tried a new barber. "George's Barber & Hairstyling Salon" in Culver City owned and operated by George, Stylist & Cosmetologist. That was clue #1. A barber should advertise that he's a barber, not a stylist. I don't need a stylist. I need a haircut. Clue #2, he's not black. Doesn't always mean he won't be able to cut black people's hair, but it's not a good sign. I get in the chair, and I tell him what I want. Now this is where the story requires a little background information. So this is the look I'm going for. In my opinion, it's nothing complex, a lot of men have it, and it's not hard to accomplish. is this really that hard?
can't be that difficult... can it? So the problem I've had is explaining what I want to these fools. To all the black barbers I've gone to the explanation is this. "I want to keep growing it out a bit. Keep the length the same all the way around, and just taper the sides and back." The barber normally understands what I want, and hopefully it's what I get. If it's not exactly what I wanted, it's either due to a mistake or incompetence, but at least we both were on the same page as to what cut I was getting. Well, now that my normal barbershop is too far away, I've had to go to a couple of "non-black" barbers. They should know what they're doing, but... let's just say that "just taper the sides" can produce some FUCKED UP results. Ok, back to today's story. So, I tell him the normal details. He gets the "keep the length the same all the way around" part. He asks me how is it. I tell him that I'd also like the sides and back tapered. 10 minutes later, I end up looking like this. Gumby
fucked up then, fucked up now Maybe not that bad, but it felt that bad. Because it's a pointless exercise to battle back and forth with him on how to correct it, I immediately pay him and head out to another barbershop to right this horrible wrong. Since I can't trust anyone with a pair of scissors anymore, I give barber #2 of the day the simplest of instructions. "Cut it all off! I want it ALL even... and use a #1." Can't really mess that one up, and thankfully she didn't. She even listened to me bitch and moan about my awful haircut resulting in this semi-hilarious exchange: Me: I was butchered! Her: (laughing) It's ok. You just didn't get the style you like. How long ago did you get your haircut? (Probably thinking I'm referring to the last time I got a haircut, like 2-3 weeks ago.) Me: Today. Her: (more laughing and guffawing) Yeah, let's take care of this. So the summary is this:

  1. Know who you're talking to. Different barbers speak different languages, and what might be a "taper" or "fade" to you and me, is a "blend" or "two-tone" to someone else. And by someone else, I mean white people.
  2. Take a photo with you of what you'd like to get done. I've never done this because I'm not a woman, and I always assumed anything I wanted could easily be explained, but of course, you've read summary point #1.
  3. Supercuts is actually not that bad. Never thought I'd say that sentence in my life. But I have to thank the stylist there for saving me from attending a wedding this weekend looking like someone took a weed-wacker to my head... in 1989! Maybe my next haircut will be at Fantastic Sams.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • OMG, the thought of you looking like Bobby Brown is priceless. Hey, it can't be all that bad. Bobby did score Whitney while she was still hot afterall...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home