Brain Farts

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Doggy Style

So being the dog-lover that I am, you know sooner or later I had to vent on this whole Michael Vick/dogfighting scandal. My first thoughts are, "Fuck Michael Vick!" Actually, my only thoughts on the matter are, "Fuck Michael Vick!" When I was a kid, there were a couple of neighbors across the street from me that had pitbulls and raised them for fighting. They weren't as cold-hearted with their treatment of them as we've heard the Bad Newz Kennels were, but still, I was witness to some of their training between two dogs. Of course I was appalled that anyone would allow innocent dogs to be treated like that, and let's just say there were a few "anonymous" phone calls to the Santa Monica police department. Long story short, I've seen a bit of the ugly side of dogfighting, and the issue still hits home today. For an athlete, who's worth millions and is the face of not only a professional franchise but of an entire city, the decision to oversee and bankroll this endeavor is simply stupid. But the real travesty comes from realizing this athlete, who might have been on your wall or whom at least you're jaw has dropped from numerous appearances on Sportscenter, is quite simply and evil man. EVIL. There's no other explanation. This wasn't a one-off mistake. It's not ignorance. And despite what some members of the media have said to try and offer some background, it's not cultural. Blacks do not enjoy torturing and killing innocent animals. Southerners do not enjoy it. It's evil men who somehow think this is acceptabe entertainment. I hope Vick and the others involved in this dogfighting ring are given maximum sentences. I don't believe in sentencing in order to "send a message", I just believe that the nature of this crime (and the pre-meditation that went with it) deserve a hefty punishment. I am happy that he has lost all his endorsement deals. And I also believe that Vick should be allowed to play football again after he has completed his punishment. But I won't shed any tears if he doesn't. People have stated that after he's served his time, he should be allowed to make a living. That is true, but playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. As Judge Smails from Caddyshack said, "Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I whole-heartedly agree with you! I guess there's a first for everything...
    I like the reference to Caddyshack. Classic. $10 says Susie has no idea what you're referring to.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home